The University of London Institute in Paris (ULIP) in conjunction with the American University of Paris, University of Kent, Paris, and Columbia University, is pleased to be hosting this joint seminar series.
Featuring contributions from leading academics from across all four institutions involved and beyond, this seminar series will explore the evolving dynamics of translation in our modern age. Contributions will take in both broad trends within the field of translation and specific instances of the transformation of particular texts or images.
Events are free (reservation is advised) and are open to all and any interested parties.
The terrain and processes of translation are changing faster than ever before. New technologies, greater competition and connection between spaces of editorial decision, shifting interfaces between places of textual production: the range of forces at play in the geopolitics of translation is vast and complex, implicating ever more zones and expressions of culture. This seminar series will explore specific instances of transformation and broader trends across this terrain inviting speakers and their audiences to consider some of the following questions:
- How do the modalities of funding and distribution of translations shape the production of culture?
- How are the formal characteristics of contemporary cultural artefacts – texts, audio-visual production, exhibitions – shaped by questions of translatability?
- What are the spaces of translation today, and how do they function?
- What are the temporalities of translations and how has that changed?
- What in translation is irreducible to a politics of translation?
- Is translation excessive?
- What is the vitality of translation?
Upcoming events – Spring 2017
- 'Our Age of Exhaustion? with Anna Schaffner, 2 February 2017, 18:30, at Reid Hall
- Saussure the ethnographer: Peoples, the popular, and non-identity in Europe, with Claire Joubert, 16 February 2017, 18:30, at Reid Hall
- Abdulrazak Gurnah, 30 March 2017, 18:30 at Reid Hall
The seminar series continues in the new year – please check our website events section for further announcements.
For further information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Join our mailing list today and stay informed about ULIP upcoming and past events, blog pieces, announcements and more.