I am responsible for the leadership of the University of London Institute in Paris. I bring to this role over 30 years experience of leadership of a great variety of teams and projects in a number of cultural and linguistic settings in Europe and Asia. My main area of expertise is university strategy in an international context but I have also held diplomatic, business development, project management, marketing and lecturing roles. I have lived and worked in Sudan, Egypt, Hong Kong, Singapore, Dubai, Jordan, India, UK and France working for 20 years for the British Council before joining the University of Greenwich and then the University of London.
I was very pleased to have the opportunity to work at ULIP having led the global engagement work of the University of London International Programmes for the previous few years. I love the work that the University of London does, its strong values of inclusion and quality and its important history helping establish many subsequent universities in the UK and around the world. I have strong links with France as my wife is French and so half my family is based in the south of France. I love living in Paris which is an intriguing and I feel a very human city. I know the people in my neighbourhood which really feels like a village.
Paris is best seen on foot or on a bicycle – it is small enough to be accessible throughout and large enough to keep your interest and enthusiasm.
My first degree was a BTech in Archaeological Sciences. I have an MA in Applied Linguistics and an MBA and am currently about to complete a Doctorate in Business Administration. I was awarded the OBE in 2008 for services to the British Council.
Professional Memberships and Activities
- Member - Prime-Ministerial working group on Internationalisation of French Higher Education through France Strategie
- Member - Advisory Group Paris Seine - Cergy Pontoise International campus project
- Member International HE Steering Committee the British Council and Steering Committee for Going Global
- Member Advisory Board Observatory on Borderless Higher Education
- Member – Steering Group: UUK International Unit & Leadership Foundation, ‘Horizon Scanning: what will higher education look like in 2020?
My main area of research is strategy applied in the context of universities. My doctoral thesis is a resource-based theory and dynamic capabilities theory analysis of university international strategies. I am also very active as a speaker on many aspects of university work and on trends in higher education.
- Going Global: Fifth volume with M Stiasny 2015 (UCL IOE Publishing)
- Going Global: Fourth volume with M Stiasny 2015 (Emerald Group Publishing Ltd)
- Going Global: Third volume with M Stiasny, 2014 (Emerald Group Publishing Ltd)
- Going Global: identifying trends and drivers of international education with M Stiasny, 2013 (Emerald Group Publishing Ltd)
- Going Global: The Landscape for Policy Makers and Practitioners in Tertiary Education with M Stiasny (Emerald Group Publishing Ltd), 2012 (ISBN:978-0-85724-783-4) 230 pgs UK
- Brand Research, with L Nafees and O Krishnan (ISBN: 0230-32870-9)(Macmillan Publishers) New Delhi, 2010
Chapters in Books
- Structural Implications of MOOCs: Low grade tremors? In From Books to MOOCS? Emerging Models of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education: Portland Press 2016
- Do Networks Work? In Going Global: identifying trends and drivers of international education with M Stiasny, 2013 (Emerald Group Publishing Ltd)
- Innovative higher education, ACU yearbook, 2015
Articles in Peer Reviewed Journals
- The Academia Europaea & The Wenner-Gren Foundations Conference, Emerging Models of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education: From Books to MOOCs? Wenner-Gren Center, Stockholm: Forthcoming
- Fishing Expedition: Successful ventures abroad depend on finding markets that fit. Research Fortnight April 9th 2014.
- Higher Education Across Borders: Models of Engagement and Lessons from Corporate Strategy. The Observatory on Borderless Higher Education, 2012
- Doing Business with India. The Observatory on Borderless Higher Education, January 2011
- Global research collaboration, lessons from practice for cross-border partnerships from the India-UK strategic alliance. The Observatory of Borderless Education, October 2008
Conference Papers and Presentations
- The Academia Europaea & The Wenner-Gren Foundations Conference, Emerging Models of Learning and Teaching in Higher Education: From Books to MOOCs? 21 - 23 May 2015 Wenner-Gren Center, Stockholm
- Evolving directions and blurring lines for online education - developing an organisational strategy, International seminar on online higher education, Online Business School, Barcelona 2014
- HEGlobal TNE: an illustrated view: Panel member at HEGlobal event, London British Council, October 2014
- HEGlobal TNE: an illustrated view: Panel member at HEGlobal event, Edinburgh British Council, September 2014
- Fast forward into the future – an increasingly international and online education sector; Euprio, Innsbruk September 2014
- Understanding MOOC impacts What works and how to value it: Neil Stewart Associates, Dexter House,June 2014
- Convenor, chair and presenter: Transnational Higher Education - developments and trends: Going Global, Miami. 29th April 2014
- The student experience in international education- is inclusivity a distant goal? Going Global Miami. 1 May 2014
- Pedagogy: MOOCs and blended learning opportunities and challenges. Gulf Education Conference London. 1 April 2014
- Ways of assessing and dealing with new market opportunities. International Higher Education Forum, London 20 March 2014
- Keynote address on the future of the Further and Higher Education Sectors at the Global Education Strategy Forum February 2014
- Keynote address on the future of Higher Education and Internationalisation at the University of Nottingham Partnership Forum, February 2014
- Keynote address on the future of internationalisation at the University of Glasgow International Day, December 2013
- Plenary opening address on disruptive innovation in higher education at the University of London, Leadership Foundation and Observatory on Borderless Higher Education MOOCs conference in January 2014
- Keynote address on Massive Online Open Courses at FIED conference, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, June 2013
- Challenges and rewards of developing an overseas partnership network, Business Forum International, London, June 2013
- Models of Transnational Education, British Council Conference, Athens, April 2013
- Aspects of students' international identity, Asia Pacific Association of International Educators, Hong Kong, March 2013
- Models of Transnational Education, Going Global Conference, Dubai, March 2013
- Online and open-access learning in higher education, MOOCs, new pedagogies and business models, London, January 2013
- Approaches to learning technology - Bring Your Own Device, BETT Conference, London, January 2013
- The Future of Global Higher Education closing keynote at Inside Government Conference: Internationalising HE in the UK, 14th June 2012
- Using empirical evidence and data solutions to support international education strategies, British Council workshop at NAFSA, Houston, USA, Sunday 27th May 2012, presenter
- International Partnerships; Transnational Education Neil Stewart Associates, London 16th April 2012, plenary address: TNE Models of Engagement and Risk
- Internationalising Higher Education in the UK: Globalising Knowledge and Skills Inside Government, London, 14th June, closing plenary address
- Observatory on Borderless Higher Education Global Forum 2012, Kuala Lumpur, April 2012, plenary address: Risk and Reputation