- About Us
- Study With Us
- Student Life
Professor Andrew Hussey OBE
Professor Andrew Hussey is a native of Liverpool and studied at the universities of Manchester and Lyon III.
He started his career as a journalist writing for Julie Burchill's Modern Review and since has written for every major British newspaper as well as the TLS the LRB and the Literary Review. These days he writes mainly for the New Statesman and the Guardian/Observer.
Professor Hussey began his academic career with an MPhil on Louis Ferdinand Céline and then a PhD on Georges Bataille. He has written on Guy Debord the Lettristes, William Burroughs and North African writing. Professor Hussey's biography of Guy Debord was chosen by Julian Barnes as 'International Book of the Year' in the Times Literary Supplement 2001. His book on Paris was described by Peter Ackroyd as 'masterly' and as 'a magnificent achievement' by the New York Times. In France, this book was shortlisted for the Prix Grandgousier and has been praised in the pages of Le Monde des Livres, Le Nouvel Observateur and L'Humanité as well as being chosen as a book of the week by Jacques Munier on France-Culture. In 2011 he was awarded an OBE in for services to Anglo-French cultural relations.
Professor Hussey's latest book is called 'The French Intifada: The Long War Between France and its Arabs' and has been published in 2013 by Granta UK, Faber USA and La Martinière France. You can take a look at some of the press around his new book here. He also makes documentaries for television and radio including the widely acclaimed 'France on a Plate' first shown on BBC4 in 2011. More recently he has featured on Radio 4's 'Start the Week' on 10 March 2014 and has further Radio documentaries in production.
You can also read examples of Andrew Hussey's work here:
US Election special: http://www.granta.com/Online-Only/US-Election-Special/Andrew-Hussey
The Paris intifada: http://www.granta.com/Magazine/101/The-Paris-Intifada/1
Andrew Hussey is represented by The Wylie Agency in London and New York http://www.wylieagency.com/
- Regular contributor to the Observer, the Guardian, the Independent and New Statesmanon French, European and North African issues.
- Regular appearances on BBC television and radio to talk about specialist subects.
- Recent invited talks have been at Royal Academy, Princeton University, Columbia University and Plenary Chairs at Universities of Rabat, Beirut, Marrakesh
- British Council Contemporary Writier
Reviews and interviews
- Paris: The Secret History
- France on a Plate Review by Spectator Magazine
- The Game of War. Guy Debord and the Society of the Spectacle.